February 12, 2014

Being a Pitt Fan is Soul Crushing

4.4 Seconds left.
Up by one.
The other team all the way down at the other end of the court.
This game is in the bag....right?
Not if you're Pitt.  

As I sit here, pondering why I continuously think that things will get better for Pitt fans, I find myself no longer being able to come up with any logical answers.  As I watched Coach Dixon call a time out - for no other reason other then to postpone his team's inevitable demise - I thought to myself, "They're going to lose.  I don't know how you can lose being up with 4.4 seconds left, but I just know it."
And sure enough - Pitt came through for me again. 
I've stopped being surprised when things happen like this.  Pitt has a tendency to kick my heart in the ass the way no other team I follow can.  Only Pitt could lose like this.  
Listen fellow Pitt fans - I'm not saying I'm going to stop rooting for Pitt.  I'm going to be a Pitt fan till the day I die.  It's in my blood.  But maybe we should stop thinking that we're ever going to be really good at this "winning" thing.  There's some invisible hump that Pitt - whether it be basketball or football - can not and will never get over.  That's not me being pessimistic, that's me coming to terms with almost 8 years of heartbreak. 
8 years of seeing Pitt blow every big game.  
8 years of seeing Pitt highly ranked at the beginning of a season only to finish in the second round of the NCAA tournament  - or losing to some scrub team again in the BBVA Compass Bowl. 
8 years of seeing Coach Jamie Dixon fail to hold onto a lead at the end of a must win game.  
8. Years. 
8 long, hard, heartbreaking years.  
Pitt fans, I'm done expecting things out of these teams - both football and ESPECIALLY basketball. 
It's time we realize that this curse - this curse of mediocrity - is not going away any time soon and in order to save ourselves countless hours of future heartbreak, we need to lower or expectations and come to terms with that reality.
The reality, Pitt fans, is that being a Pitt fan is soul crushing.
And I for one am done having mine crushed every single year.     

No comments:

Post a Comment